For those of you with anxiety, you know all too well some of the things that you depend on or that help sooth you during those dreaded attacks. I personally keep a “kit” of things in my car as well as a tote bag with some of these things as well. You can use anything that you like, but here are some of the things that I keep in mine.
First of all, as ridiculous as it may sound to some people……..A stuffed animal, one in many locations actually! My car, throughout my house, a small one for my purse, anywhere that I may need one of my……monkeys!
Second, earbuds. These are an absolute must for me. Music helps distract me as well as the nature sounds. There are also many apps out there with anxiety coaching and soothing sounds if these work for you.
Small paper bags for times of hyperventilation if this method works for you, then you definitely want to have them on hand anywhere that you may need them.
A nostalgic scent, maybe something that reminds you of your childhood or a happy time. Maybe a close relative or loved one. I personally have fallen in love with aromatherapy pendants. You can get them from Origami Owl but I of course went the cheaper route and bought all of mine unbranded from Amazon and eBay. I have one in my purse, one on the rear view mirror in every vehicle and am usually wearing one. I may look a little weird walking around sniffing it, but hey, if it works who cares!
There are many sellers on both with different designs and prices
Next Up, Nausea medicine!!!! For me, anxiety and nausea go hand in hand, then the nausea makes the panic worse and vice versa. Vicious cycle there! I keep a prescription for nausea medicine with me at all times, it’s almost as important as sedatives for severe situations. Gum or candy can help with nausea too. Not related to the kit, because we obviously can’t keep ice, but if you are near somewhere that has it and can get to it, for me ice helps tremendously on nausea and is a distraction too!
Which leads me to the next item, if you have them, whatever they may be, herbal or prescribed, Keep spare anxiety medications. If they are prescribed, save your prescription bottles for spares to keep in different places, car, purse etc….so that they are properly labeled and you won’t get into any trouble. Who needs that hassle? Certainly not us!
A blanket. This obviously won’t work for the tote bag unless it’s a little throw, but I feel that I have to keep a blanket in the car. Partly because one of my biggest fears is thunderstorms and Heaven forbid I get caught out in one. It’s not pretty. But also just for the sheer fact that a blanket makes me feel secure, which leads me to a smaller, less conspicuous and easy to carry version…….
A hoodie. Yes. I have them everywhere. Always one close by. For me personally it has to be a hoodie. I guess “hiding” in it if needed helps me.
Sunglasses, especially for social anxiety. Not always usable, such as indoors, but very weak reading glasses work good for a fill in or even very light tinted sunglasses that aren’t so shady looking inside.
Anything that may help you feel closer to your religion.
Adult coloring books and colored pencils or notebooks , and for me different colored pens. Even if I just write my name over and over, as odd as that may sound. It calms me.
A photo of a loved one or pet. The Floating charm lockets work well for this. I have a picture of my late Father in mine. Again, those can be gotten from Origami Owl or again the cheaper version, Amazon and eBay.
Well that’s all for now that I can think of. I hope these things help you all as much as they do me.
Krimson (Wendy) V
My YouTube
#anxiety #copingwithanxiety #socialanxiety #agoraphobia #panicattacks #anxietytherapy
My YouTube
#anxiety #copingwithanxiety #socialanxiety #agoraphobia #panicattacks #anxietytherapy
Comments
Post a Comment